"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity,
it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."
~ Agatha Christie

Alex, Cole and Braden - At 2 years, 2 months

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Yes, you CAN wash a disposable diaper!

Not to worry, dear readers - I have performed the mother of all experiments just for your reading pleasure - and because I know that you have been waiting with bated breath to find out just what happens to a disposable diaper when run through the washing machine.

Well??? I opened the washer the other day to change over the load...usually I scoop and throw, scoop and throw...from the washer to the dryer...as fast as humanly possible. Luckily, for me that is, something caught my eye. I think my brain was trying to tell me something and thank God I took a second look!

There, at the top of the pile of clothes, lie a very soaked diaper! I had one bad moment when I thought just how messy that situation could have been if I had blindly scooped into the load...the next moment I was recoiling, trying to figure out exactly how one cleans this kind of mess if it turned out to be the worst-case scenario! Imagine the horror of the contents of a poopy diaper swirled in with the rest of your laundry. I shudder to think.

Again, God was looking out for me as it turned out to be a clean diaper - go figure?! When do I ever get that lucky?! Incidentally, I won $20 on a gifted scratch-off lottery ticket the same day! Woo hoo! So, I must have accidentally knocked one into the hamper and just never noticed it going into the machine. It was actually quite funny after the dread of cleaning up the mother of all messes abated! I was absolutely mesmerized by the end state of this diaper - it could have been a Luvs commercial; completely loaded with water, but totally dry on the inside and outside - I was amazed at just how absorbent this little bugger was. It must have weighed ten pounds - not kidding! I might even write to them to let them know how impressed I was with the accidental experiment.

So...now you know - that little kid inside of you that always wondered what would happen is free to move on to bigger and better wonders...like what happens when you stick your tongue to a frozen flagpole...wait? Didn't I already see that done somewhere...?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a horrible point to make. Once a DIRTY diaper goes through the washer, IT APPEARS CLEAN. It also appears to be the size of a volleyball and weighs as much as a car battery.