"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity,
it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."
~ Agatha Christie

Alex, Cole and Braden - At 2 years, 2 months

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Mike likes the attention

I know that you guys must be getting sick of the "attention we get" blogs...I promise this will be the last one for a while...it's just that it's really one of the most interesting ways having triplets has affected our lives so far. It's something I never saw coming, especially in this intensity!

I never would have thought it, but I think Mike likes the attention! As most of my past blog posts have professed, sometimes quite obviously, I pretty much dislike any of the spotlight we are in when walking around with these guys any more. I know it's not exactly a humble analogy, but I think this is what it must be like to be a celebrity! Definitely not to the same degree, but I am sure Lindsay Lohan must feel like she wants to go to the store sometimes and just be "Lindsay". We can't go anywhere anymore without a ton of conversations with people, the whispering, the pointing! Having triplets, out of necessity, you try to become a model of efficiency and have to view errands anywhere as an experience, not just an errand, or you will go crazy! I think that's why it bothers me so much! You get used to doing everything as fast as possible and when you are forced to slow down, my first reaction is irritation at my schedule slipping away. ;)

So, if you haven't read the past posts, you now know that it disconcerts me quite a bit (that is, most of the time - but not always! If we are not in a hurry or if the kids are not in a hurry...aka hungry...I enjoy the stories we hear!). I usually avoid eye contact as much as possible and walk briskly as if I am eternally late for an appointment. That stops most people from initiating a conversation...but not all! I sometimes get chased through the store, people yelling from behind... "Stop! Wait!"

Short story long, I now know that Mike is the polar opposite of me when it comes to this subject...We were driving home from a doctor appointment last Monday and I asked if we could stop at Target for one quick thing...so quick, it would only take me 5 minutes, door to door! I expected him to say, "ok - but hurry!" The kids were crying and that meant endless loops around the parking lot, hitting every bump you could find in effort to coax them down to a dull roar. Instead, to my surprise, I heard a cheerful..."We'll come in with you!" Wait a minute...What?? Is he crazy? All the work of getting them out and into the stroller, all the while they are all screaming...in what could only be disagreement with daddy's plan of action...for a 5 minute item...and he wants to go in??! Yikes.

And then it hit me smack in the face...he actually likes the commotion we cause! He must! I'm putting this together because this would not be the first time he would go out of his way to bring the kids into public. He gets this grin on his face and proudly rolls them into the store, head held up high, actually seeking out eye contact with complete strangers!...and, true to form, before we even hit the front door...."wow! Triplets?" *sigh*....I hope he's enjoying this!

Although, I'm not sure if it's the kids or the stroller he most enjoys showing off. I swear he gets that Tim Taylor Tool Time guy "laugh"...you know which one I mean? The one that denotes a guy showing off his manly equipment to another guy...a primitive communication that only guys understand...and only something like a triple stroller can bring out in them.

Oh well...I guess if he enjoys it - he can have all the glory! I'll go hide in the shoe department. I'll look at this as an opportunity to socialize the kids...as well as the husband. ;)

Photobucket
He's enjoying this! Look at the proud papa...

No comments: