"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity,
it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."
~ Agatha Christie

Alex, Cole and Braden - At 2 years, 2 months

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Da, Da, Daaaaa...The Haircuts

I think I have been avoiding the public forum for this particular post because I would like to pretend it didn't happen. Move on, move past, right? In previous threads, I have mentioned my dread over the upcoming haircut. Well, it has been here and long gone, and I'd like to pretend that they never had those precious, long, luxurious locks. Shiny, golden curls and swirls that never existed...never had me in tears to be lost. There were never ringlets, growing longer and more adorable every single day. Alright, I guess this could be considered denial.

Don't get me wrong, I like the haircuts...but my babies look so different...and I miss the cute and spunky, the crazy messy, the bunch o'curls on top of their heads. Mike used to say that it looked like one of those scrunches of curly ribbons you put on top of a birthday package, plopped right at the crown of their sweet little heads. I intended to get some really nice and elegant pictures of their curls, lock them into photographic memory if they had to be cut. But that never happened. For whatever reason, I never got the chance. So, I figured I might be able to do it right before they were chopped off...them sitting in the barber chair and in perfect position to record their sweetness. Nope.

We arrived on a beautiful and sunny Sunday morning to "Joe the Barber", Mike's professional barber since birth, practically. He signed up to usher our kids into toddlerhood, armed with scissors and a cape. He is known for his speed, clearing out a waiting room in no time at all. Never a wait! And today was no different. Unfortunately, I would have liked to take my sweet time; languishing in the glow of their golden locks. I would have liked to have been able to grab the "good" camera too, take some pictures with it as well as the point and shoot...but I was lucky to get the few awful pictures I did!

Speed is never something to be cherished when it's your babies' first haircut, but it's what we got. I love Joe, but he rushed me! I barely had time to come to terms with it all before the floor was covered with their curly innocence. I think we were there for a total of 15 minutes, door to door. Mike's parents and sister MJ were there to help us celebrate the memory and we went out to breakfast afterwards...thanks, Papa!

After it all, I confess that they looked so tidy and clean, and they did great, sitting still for those 30 seconds on the chair. (kidding) But I do miss those curls, more than ever. Au Revoir, sweet ringlets...it was a pleasure to have known you, to have graced our sons' hair. If you have a chance to stop by again, please stay awhile! I will aim to keep Mike's scissors at bay, a battle I am sure I will never win.

Cole wins the coin toss and heads up first
Photobucket

Photobucket

Signing "All Done", here's the After Shot
Photobucket

Braden waiting his turn with Alex
Photobucket

The before and after comparison
Photobucket

Looking up at Joe, "What's goin' on here?" Look at those curls! *sigh*
Photobucket

Before Shot
Photobucket

Photobucket

The After Shot
Photobucket

Our handsome boys
Photobucket

The whole fam and Joe the Barber
Photobucket

The first official public appearance as toddlers...
Photobucket

No comments: